Dear District 204 Families,
More than 390 Illinois school district superintendents, representing more than 1.3 million students, have signed on to support a grassroots statewide initiative called, simply enough, “Pass Illinois’ Budget!” We hope you will support this effort, which launches today, April 24.
While Illinois public schools have benefited from a partially-funded state budget, our schools, students, families, and communities will continue to suffer without a full state budget. We also will suffer if Mandated Categorical state payments, which support special education, bilingual education, transportation, and other important services, do not get paid this year. To date, the State of Illinois owes our District $15.7 million in those Mandated Categoricals, and there is no state budget on the table for approval. We are calling on members of the Illinois General Assembly and the Governor to do the following:
- Immediately, and with bipartisan support, end the state budget impasse.
- Improve the state’s education funding formula and invest in students and schools, including higher education institutions.
- Pay school districts what they are owed this year.
Please join the effort and:
- Contact your legislator! Click here to find your state legislator.
- Ask your legislator to take action to address the three items mentioned above.
- Use social media to share your budget concerns with the hashtag #PassILBudget.
- Share this email and ask your friends and community members to join our efforts.
Let’s all work together to #PassILBudget and create adequate and equitable funding for our schools.
Dr. Karen Sullivan
(Click HERE to see the list of 394 participating superintendents supporting this initiative who represent 65 percent of Illinois' public school students from Carbondale to Chicago to Rockford.)